International Convention Center In Birmingham

The International Convention Centre or ICC as it is generally known is one of England’s major conference venues and is situated in central Birmingham. The building contains eleven halls and has a total capacity for eight thousand delegates, with the largest hall holding some three thousand of these. The Birmingham Symphony Hall is also housed within the ICC.

The building also has a second entrance/exit leading to and from the Birmingham Canal system.

The foundation stone for the building was laid by Jacques Delors, the then 8th President of the European Commission and so commenced a site construction program lasting some four years and five months, using a workforce of fifteen hundred and the laying of some sixty thousand cubic meters of concrete which was, apart from small quantities, not hand-mixed we would hasten to add.

The cost of the work was £200 million with the European Council funding £49.7 million of this figure and the building was officially opened by the Queen in 1991.

The Convention Centre was partly constructed on the site of the old Bingley Hall, the world’s first purpose-built exhibition hall which was opened in 1850 and burnt down in 1984.

The ICC stages in excess of 400 conferences and related events and meetings each year. As one of the UK’s leading conference centers, it has earned a reputation for both quality and excellence.

As a matter of interest the ICC, in 1998, was the central point for the G8 Meeting of World Leaders from Canada, France, Italy, Germany, Japan, United States, Russia, and the United Kingdom and in 2008 the Labour Party held the first Party Political Conference there. The International Convention Centre is part of the now world-famous NEC Group which also includes the National Exhibition Centre, National Indoor Arena, and LG Arena.